All summer long, a small hibiscus bush has enthralled and entertained me with its almost daily blooms. I claim no responsibility for its performance, lacking basic gardening skills beyond placing a plant in a pot and trying, with mixed success, to remember to water or fertilize it.
The hibiscus, being a determined and tenacious plant, survived several years inside my screened porch. But this summer, I decided to risk the plants on the hot concrete of the pool deck after my neglect cost the life of its sister plant. Happy with my choice, the bush began blooming on an almost daily basis.
I began documenting the assorted blooms for one of my closest friends, who works indoors and misses much of the sunlight and spectacular skies of summer. It's turned into something of a joke between us as I scramble to find unique ways of referring to the bush.
As the summer progressed, I realized I was learning a lot from the bush. Today I summarized what I learned and encapsulated it in an email to my friend. Then I realized I had a post for this blog. So here it is, the Philosophy of the Hibiscus!
1. The bush is persistent.
2. The bush does just one thing and does it really well.
3. The bush doesn't care if one flower isn't perfect. There'll be other flowers on other days.
4. The bush blooms whether someone is there to see it or not.
5. The bush blooms where it is planted. Better conditions, such as the current placement, may result in more or bigger flowers, but it blooms regardless.
6. The bush may have its roots in the ground, but it keeps reaching for the heavens.
7. The more crap you dump on it, the stronger it is in the long run.
There. You've had the flower for the day, as well as my moment of philosophy.


No comments:
Post a Comment