This journal was graciously provided to my by Karen Doherty, Marketing VP for Exaclair USA. They are the exclusive US distributor of Clairefontaine, Exacompta, Rhodia, Quo Vadis, G. Lalo, Brause and Decopatch product lines.
I've been on a quest for some time to find the best possible product for my fountain pen use. I prefer larger nibs such as 1.3 stubs, as well as BB and OBB nibs. Ms Doherty hoped this paper might meet my needs, despite being unlined and originally intended for art.


The ePure is 240 pages, 120 sheets, measuring 14.8 x 21 cm and has 100g Rhodia paper. The cover is the black common to those Rhodia products not covered in orange and is a soft cover. You'll note the thickness of the journal in the photographs, especially the side on shot. The pen included for scale is a Montblanc 149.







Despite the lovely smoothness of the paper, the heavier than standard weight and the known quality of Rhodia paper, you'll see the "echo" or show through of the ink on the back of the pages. Surprisingly, the line written by the B nibbed pen showed through more distinctly than those from the 1.3 stub. or OBB nib.
I suspect the paper lacks the coating given to those sheets intended for fountain pen use. Art paper, after all, is required to be more porous in order to "take" washes and shading. Only the thickness of the binding keeps me from giving it a higher score for use as a journal. I suspect those using finer nib pens or a less absorbent ink than Noodler's Blue Nose Bear or Red-Black will be perfectly content to use this book as a journal.
I prefer lined or dot grid journals and tend toward narrower binders in order to avoid the drop off at the side of the pages. But then I write intensively on a daily basis. The softer binding is my personal preference, as I tend to use a lap desk or table and want to avoid a hump in the center of the binding. In this case, the pages are too thick, so I can crease the back of the book, but still experience considerable drop off.
This is lovely paper and I highly recommend Rhodia products. This is simply not the format for me. The quest continues.
No comments:
Post a Comment