I write my books using fountain pens and ring bound notebooks. There’s something sensual about the slide of the nib over the paper and the beautiful ink colors available that releases the creative side of me. Unlike computers, I don’t have to worry about power supplies, incompatible software or temperature extremes. Because I write quickly and go through a lot of ink, I favor broad nibbed or stub nibbed fountain pens. I fill up to five pens at a time when I’m on a roll.
Fountain pens are usable art, but they also favor the writer. Unlike ballpoints, rollerballs or gel pens, they require no pressure on the page. A perfectly balanced fountain pen is the ultimate in ergonomic comfort for a writer. The inks come in formulations from waterproof to luscious soft colors made for centuries in France that suit the finest of pens.
For those readers unfamiliar with these beautiful tools, try the Fountain Pen Network http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/. There one can view pictures, read reviews, and learn far more than anyone would ever want to know about pens, ink and paper.
I highly recommend the use of pen and paper. Something about the pace and rhythm of a pen allows me to focus on the story.


3 comments:
...I remember your 'rantings' about the perfect 'fountain pen' at the time I just thought it was a 'quirk' ...a reason to post !
personally; I couldn't read my own writing, if I wrote more than 20 works long hand
Hmm, well there are those of us who are quite hooked on fountain pens for writing. We find that the smooth, effortless glide of an FP produces a flow of words onto the paper without effort, friction, fatigue, or a keyboard getting in the way or distracting us. Thus, writing with an FP encourages us to write more because the very act of writing is so pleasurable. Many fountain pen owners actively seek excuses to write, such as hand copying the entire Holy Bible. That's how pleasant it is.
I use my fountain pens to do notes and drafts too. I don't know why but sometimes, it's easier to get the words out via fountain pen than computer.
Post a Comment