Friday, August 22, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay

After nearly a week of high winds and higher amounts of rain, it looks like Fay is finally moving on. For those unfamiliar with tropical storms or cyclones, this one has actually been worse than a hurricane. While the winds topped out around 50 mph/80 kph with gusts to 70 mph/113 kph, it's the days of heavy rain that have done the most damage.

I sit between a pond and a lake. After days of rain averaging 3-6 inches/8-15cm per day, they're over their banks and into people's yards. Fortunately, my property is the highest and remains relatively dry. I have a few large branches down in the yard from neighbor's trees, but that's the worst of it.

The storm isn't over for northeast Florida for another day or so, but the worst of it has passed except for the flooding. The St Johns river is already to the top of the bulkheads downtown. With high tide, there's no place for the water to go except into the surrounding neighborhoods.

Anyone who wants to access the local news can do so at http://www.firstcoastnews.com/ and click on the local news and weather radar.

I've treated this storm like a mini vacation. With few incoming phone calls and hours of isolation due to the need to remain indoors, I've caught up on sleep and enjoyed the enforced peace. Tomorrow things will return to normal and the world will be upon me again.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Once upon a time I lived at an out of the way place called Middle Beach. My place was on a small hill right on the beach front. One year heavy weather came for days causeing salt bush plains to flood miles inland. Two days of 80knot winds followed by dead calm and I peek out front to see I occupied one of three building still above the water line.

Never seen anything like it. The ocean came in and just didn't go out again for near a week. Waterline was within four feet of the house for days and if you were up early enough, there was no seeing the land. Just three little buildings in the middle of an eery calm ocean.

The storm was scary but the aftermath was one of my most uniquie and peacefull memories. I've not eaten dog food ever since BTW. Does really repeat on you, even if it was with cheese on toast.

Unknown said...

Of course us Brits know none of this is true, it`s just a huge conspiracy to keep out the British tourists. Ha...see...I`ve seen the ads and the holiday brochures...no rain not a single drop, just golden beaches, gorgeous girls and hunky guys. Not to mention Dizzney land and the oodles of other parks.

Beth just locked herself up inside to play hard to get. It must be difficult being one of the Florida glamourous people all the time and she decided to get some peace.

Of course it could be a wider conspiracy by the US. They must be fed up with seeing the World aid go everywhere else and thought if they got Hollywood to make up some film about home disasters they might get some sympathy from the rest of the World for a change. Hell they even fiddled the Olympics so they came second.

I`m not falling for it, I`ve no doubt they`ll be a film out soon by a big,fat hairy a** truth teller spilling the beans on this conspiracy too. It`ll all be that George Bush and his cronies trying to get more oil from somewhere.

Raining in Florida...Yeah right. Put that one next to the moon landings please. ;-)

Dog food with cheese on toast......Geeez they were right Elvis is still alive !

< Must lock up Beth more often, it makes her write more ...Infact give me the restraints she can dictate >

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just to make sure I was right, I image googled Florida....Not a drop of rain.....But I did come across this interesting book and can see why there are such good writers in Florida < whistle >

https://www.floridabooks.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=721

Anyhow I`m off for another advanture......:-p

August 24, 2008 2:57 PM

Anonymous said...

Hi... I came across your site! Congratulations on your book. I'm happy for your success. It was inevitable.
Jeff